Two years ago I was on pace to run one of the biggest races of my life. I was going to run a Half Marathon. Not just any Half marathon but the Army Half Marathon. Now if you are not familiar with the Army Run it is a great run put on by the Canadian Army and the proceeds go to programs to help wounded Soldiers and their families.
Anyways 2 years ago I was training hard and buggered up my back. I was sidelined and was worried that I was not going to run the race. After almost a month off of all exercise I was able to see a Dr who told me it was a deep muscle pull and to take some Robaxacet. I did and within 2 days I was back to normal. I was behind and knew I needed to get my ass in gear and run.
Sunday came and I was in awww with the crowd, the tanks, the runners, the everything. It was cold. I was in shorts and my Prescott Pacers shirt and I was pumped to run. I started running with Joe and we ran for the first 10 km's pretty good. He left and I kept running. At km 15 I started to get tired and the cheer of the cadets really boosted my moral.
I ran harder and was set to break my goal of a 2:40 finish when BAM, I hit that wall like a brick truck. I started to walk, I had to pee and was just busting at the seams. I ran into the Port-A-Potties and as I exited my legs were heavy. I didn't want to go but I knew I had to. I started running again, slowly but I was running. I came around the corner and there was Joe waiting for me. it was km 19. He told me that this was the time to dig deep and run. I did. I ran my ass off and well I crossed the finish line far better than I thought I would. 2:30:27.0
Since then I have had a love hate relationship with running. I love to get out but I have hurt myself a week after running the half. I tore the muscles in my calf andsoon after found out that I have arthritis in my left knee. I pretty much gave up on running. But I still try, I still want to run, I still gave it what I could and today I did something I was not sure if I should or could do again. Today I signed up for the Half Marathon.
Now it's time to train and set a new goal. This goal is to run this years Army Half Marathon in 2:20:00 or better. Now it is time to train and earn my 2014 Army Run Shirt and redo this picture.



Thats freakin awesome Chris.
ReplyDeleteI have friends in the military and they need all the love an support they can get.
Two thumbs way up. :)
Sam (samanth) Connell