April is Autism Awareness Month. It is something that I am learning about because our family is having to learn about it, work with it and deal with new ways to teach. Why? Well I haven't spoken much about this, but over the last few years things in our family have been changed, but last week we found out that my 14 Year Old son Seth has Autism. For many years we would go to his school and ask for help and every time we got the same story, "Everything is fine" or "We don't have it in the budget. It wasn't until last year (2014) that sadly, it took an outburst of physical violence to finally get the help we've been seeking.
Now I'm going to admit that I am not the best person when it comes to this, as my parenting skills are not as, say refined as most. I never grew up in a normal environment. I was a run away and homeless at 9 years old bounced around the system a lot and so I never had that bonding experience until I was older with my father.
When it comes to me I want things to be done, I want to be acknowledged when spoken to, I want to set the bar and lead by example. But in the last few months I struggle with this as I know now what I expect is not how he sees it.
I am learning how to deal with this and I know that it will not be overnight, or even a week. It will be an ever learning experience and I am down for the learning curve that I am on. I just need figure it all out. My son Seth is my superhero and Autism is his Superpower, and I hope that one day I can understand what is going on in his head.

No comments:
Post a Comment