When you think Christmas you think about spending time with
your family, opening gifts on Christmas morning, doing the dinner thing. When I
think about Christmas I think the same things but with a bit of a twist. Many
years ago I was once homeless. At the age of 9 I was running away from the
abusive foster homes and group homes I was in. I spent many cold nights
squatting in places that only one would see in movies. I remember one Christmas
I was in Winnipeg and we were squatting in a shack that they used for skaters
on the river. We had someone come by and gave us a sandwich and some hot
chocolate. It meant the world to me. I was 14
So this year I decided that after talking with the kids, we will
be canceling Christmas next year. Well I shouldn't say canceling Christmas but
changing up our normal traditions. Instead of sitting at home doing the gift
exchange and dinner, we will be going into Ottawa and giving to the homeless.
We want to do something like giving out warm soup, dry socks, coats and
toiletries to the Homeless.
Why? Well I have never hid from my children the things I had
to endure growing up. I told them that one year we should give back somehow.
All of my kids have said yes to the idea years ago. This year all of my
children are old enough to understand what we are doing and I said to them How
about next year? They all said “Yes”.
We are going to get stuff gong in the New Year for this, and
after talking to some friends things are taking off. It went from just our
family to at-least 3 families who want to help out. I never realized how many
people would think this was a good idea
We will get all the details together and share as we know
them. So with that said we already have some coats donated, the offer of food
made and yeah the ideas are rolling around in my head. I got to go write them
all down.
I hope that you have a great and enjoyable Sunday everyone.
Chris & family

No comments:
Post a Comment